Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Name is Not....

So I had an interesting exchange with fellow Twitterer @Writtenbybene. She had tweeted in response to a scary incident where a strange man in the subway put his arm around her:

How do you walk around life with no boundaries. As a man you have to know that you just
can't go putting your arm around women you don't know.

My reply was:

@WrittenbyBene: that is scary but also enraging.

Luckily she had the aid of a man who saw the whole scenario and helped her out. But it's not only scary but appalling that some men seem to think that women are here for their own personal entertainment and enjoyment. Sigh...

Since I've moved to Harlem my encounters with men in the street have frustrated me.

I've been called "mamita", "princess" and my personal fave "big girl". Ummm..whatever happened to "Hello Miss" I hear the former more than I hear the latter.

I mean has simple decency died along with chivalry?

Look..I know I'm attractive and I knew that when I moved to Harlem this sort of attention would get more intense. But the word "boundaries" seems to be a foreign one to many folks.

One thing about Harlem men is that when they like what they see..they will tell you!!

But sometimes the manner in which they tell you that is intrusive and embarrassing. I mean damn if you're having a moment to think to yourself..it's really all about them, isn't it?

FYI: I don't need my existence validated by strange men.

Oh..and I hate the term "big girl". I'm not ashamed of my plus size but the connotations of being labeled as "big" as a women seems to insinuate that you're less feminine than a woman who is small. Me having a larger frame does not mean that I have a thicker skin.

Ironically enough..these encounters happen when I'm either going to or coming from my gym.

Case in point last week As I was on my way to my Spinning class I had passed by a rather portly gentleman who as I passed said "Hey big girl"

I stopped and asked "Why would you call me that... why not just say hello?"

Him:I'm sorry..did I offend you?
Me: Well yeah..because I don't even know you like that.
Him: But I'm a big guy. I don't get offended....he said as he patted his large belly.
Me: Well yeah because you're a guy. How would you like someone to talk to your sister like that?

Just then I swear I saw a light go off in his head. I swear!

Him: Damn..you're right. My sister said to me never call a woman "big girl"
Me: well maybe you should take her advice.
Him: You're right..I'm sorry.
Me: My name is Myrna
Him: I'm Keith.
Me: It's nice meeting you Keith.
I shook his hand and left.

Now..I'm not expecting to see Keith at any anti street harrassment meetings... but that small exchange was a big triumph for me. I do hope that Keith will be able to pass on that lesson to a young man that calls a young lady out her name. For a brief moment a man that objectified me was able to see me as a human being that looked him in the eye, held her ground and was able to say...


My name is not "big girl"...it's Myrna.





3 comments:

  1. Nice post. I guess I am guilty of calling a woman "Mami" but big girl is waiting for a punch in the face....Love Ya...Let's support each other. I think you are a hell of a writer Myrna and you should really do it more often. I look forward to more posts...here is my blog address.

    http://palmtreecoconutdesign.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna my sense is that some men believe they are complimenting a woman yet the word "Big" does not always feel that way to us. Many don't know how else to start a conversation beside the cat calls on the street since they are themselves afraid of rejection so this somehow makes them feel superior. Kudos to you for calling him on it and making him think from the neck up instead of below his waist...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Palmtree.....calling someone "mami" can be a term of endearment when it's from someone you know. When it's from a stranger, it's a whole different story. I find it creepy and way too familar.

    Bxgirl..I agree that men say these things with good intentions, sometimes, but they only see it from their POV. I wish men could live as women and see how it sucks to be constantly objectified. I find however that when you address men directly and actually ASK them "How would you like your mother/sister/daughter to be talked to like that?" they second guess their approach..Sometimes.

    Thanks for reading and the comments.

    Myrna

    ReplyDelete