Thursday, February 2, 2012

A New Day


If it hasn't happened already ...my little cousin Adebisi or Bisi as we call her is going to be a mother..soon. She's been keeping us abreast of her developments on Facebook and I am quite anxious while waiting to hear the news of when her daughter arrives. This occasion has made me stop and realize what a special person my cousin is to me and I just had some thoughts I wanted to share...

Bisi..

Pretty soon...any minute now..and if it hasn't happened already, you are going to be welcoming into the world a brand new life so I just wanted to put this out there before you transitioned from Bisi to mommy. So here goes..

You are more than my little cousin you are the little sister that my parents refused to give me. When your mother was pregnant with you, no one was more excited than I was. Your mother was my first baby sitter and is my second mother, without question. So waiting for you to arrive was the most exciting thing to happen to me. So you were born and I didn't get to see you for at least two weeks and it was torture for me. Although I was no longer the baby in your parents house, I was more than willing to give up my room for you..and subsequently your younger twin siblings.

I watched you grow up....I fought with you..I think at one point I took to calling you
Beastly...because well quite frankly between the ages of 8-10..you were an epic brat! But I knew that we'd outgrow that phase and we did, didn't we?

When my son was born ..an event that you had no idea was coming..you rushed to me..to us..without judgement..and for that I will always be grateful for.

So now..here you are..waiting for your daughter to arrive. I really don't have any advice to offer you. The only thing I can tell you is that your daughter is coming into this world with a greater advantage of having you and Trini as her parents. You wonderful mother and father as her grandparents. Your sister and brother as her aunt and uncle. One of which will take her to brunch and other of which will scare all the boys away (guess which is which) and a bunch of crazy great uncles and aunts that are going to drive her nuts and a bunch of cousins that are going to love and spoil her and yes fight with her occasionally.

I am so happy for you and proud of you..you've always said that you looked up to me..but honestly..I look up to you for doing things the way you've always wanted to do them.

I love you..


Love,
Myrna











No comments:

Post a Comment